Domestic abuse does not have to be physical

Abuse may also be psychological, sexual, financial or emotional. Sometimes victims may not even be aware it is happening. Children who witness domestic abuse are victims too.

We can also help if you have been a victim of coercive control. Coercive control is an act or sometimes a pattern of acts of assault, threats, humiliation and intimidation or other abuse that is used to harm, punish, or frighten a victim.

This controlling behaviour is designed to make a person dependent by isolating them from support, exploiting them, depriving them of independence and regulating their everyday behaviour. Examples include:

  • Isolating you from friends and family
  • Controlling your finances
  • Making threats or intimidating you
  • Monitoring your time
  • Monitoring you via online communication tools or spyware
  • Taking control over aspects of your everyday life, such as where you can go, who you can see, what you can wear and when you can sleep
  • Depriving you of access to support services, such as medical services
  • Repeatedly putting you down, such as saying you’re worthless
  • Humiliating, degrading or dehumanising you

Domestic abuse occurs amongst people from all walks of life, of all backgrounds and of all ages. Although often seen as committed by men against women, victims can also be male or individuals who are in a same-sex relationship.

Protecting you and your family

If you have been a victim of domestic abuse or coercive control, we can advise you about the range of options open to you. We can also help you to identify support services who can help you and your children.

Guide to Applying for a Non-Molestation and Occupation Order

If you have been a victim of domestic abuse or coercive control, we can advise you about the range of options open to you. We can protect you by applying for injunction orders (known as non-molestation and occupation orders) as well as taking steps to protect your children.

If you are not an associated person with the proposed respondent as defined under the Family Law Act you will not be able to obtain a non-molestation order. However, you may be able to seek a civil remedy in the form of an order under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.
Our expert family law team can help you apply to vary or discharge the terms of an order.

Related Services

We combine legal expertise with practical support that focuses on the wellbeing of your family throughout.

Divorce, Dissolution and Judicial Separation

Financial Settlements for Married Couples

Financial Settlements for Unmarried Couples

Financial Provision After an Overseas Divorce

Child Arrangements and Parental Disputes

Child Arrangements and Parental Disputes

Dispute Resolution

Second Opinion

Supporting you every step of the way

We know how hard it can be to navigate moments that are emotionally challenging and that is why we don’t just focus on the legal work. We make the wellbeing of you and your children a priority throughout and have partnered with other people we know and trust and who are as good in their fields as we are in ours.

Visit our support hub for information about coaching, wellbeing and support services.


Read the latest articles and commentary from Watson Morris Family Law or explore our full insights

Whatever your situation, wherever you are, we’re here for you

We work with clients across the UK and who live and work around the world. Whatever your financial status, or geographical location we provide the support you need.

Please note we do not offer legal aid. For a free no obligation call to discuss how we can help you:

Call: +44 (0) 333 188 2963
Or submit your details using the form below:

    Type of enquiry
    Please tick all services that you are interested in receiving advice on:

    By submitting your email address and telephone number to us you consent to us contacting you to deal with your enquiry. Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. For more information on our Privacy Notice, please click here.