We understand

We understand the need for practical as well as legal support during divorce, dissolution and judicial separation. We endeavour to focus on the wellbeing of you and your family throughout the process. Our technical expertise combined with our practical support will ensure that, during a period of uncertainty, you remain focused on what’s best for you and your family.

No-Fault Divorce and Dissolution

Divorce legally ends a marriage and dissolution legally ends a civil partnership. To issue an application you must have been married for at least one year, meet at least one of the jurisdictional criteria based on habitual residence or domicile and your marriage must have irretrievably broken down. No-fault divorce’ means couples no longer need to support the irretrievable breakdown of their marriage with a supporting fact and ‘blame’ the other.

Download our guide to divorce, dissolution and judicial separation

You can make a joint or sole divorce application. A party applying for a divorce or dissolution is known as the ‘applicant.’ On a joint application the parties will be known as ‘applicant 1’ and ‘applicant 2’. In a sole application case, the other party will be known as the ‘respondent’. Whilst joint applications are encouraged in some instances you may be advised to make a sole application.
From start to finish the minimum timeframe for a divorce will be 26 weeks. There is a minimum period of 20 weeks between the start of proceedings (when the court issues the application) and when the applicant(s) may apply for the conditional order. There is then a minimum of 6 weeks and 1 day between the conditional order and when the order can be made final. In some circumstances it is possible to make an urgent application for the conditional or final order.

If you or your family have a close connection to more than one country, you may have a choice where to issue a divorce or dissolve your civil partnership. The law varies from country to country and so it is important to get early legal advice so you can consider the best country (forum) for you to start proceedings.

In helping you decide where to start proceedings we will consider the advantages and disadvantages of pursuing financial claims in another country, the time it will take to finalise the divorce or dissolution and any related financial claims and whether the financial orders will be recognised and enforceable.

If you have children, we will also consider the likely impact of a foreign divorce or dissolution on the orders that may be made in relation to your children.

It is important that you act quickly and seek advice on jurisdiction before notifying the other party because the country where divorce or dissolution proceedings are first issued may ‘seize’ jurisdiction to also deal with financial matters.

For more information on our international services click here

A judicial separation allows couples to live apart without divorcing or ending a civil partnership. You may want to apply for a judicial separation for religious reasons or because you have been married or in a civil partnership for less than a year. A divorce or dissolution application cannot be made within the first year of marriage or civil partnership.
A nullity of marriage order (sometimes known as annulment) declares that the marriage is void or voidable. A void marriage is a marriage that was never legally valid, and a voidable marriage is one that was legally valid but meets one of the reasons that makes it ‘voidable’. Unlike divorce you can apply for an annulment in the first year of marriage or civil partnership.

Fixed Fee Divorce and Dissolution

Our fixed fee for a standard divorce or dissolution application is £300 plus VAT.

There will also be a court application fee to pay of £593. You may not qualify for a standard divorce or dissolution application if there is a dispute over jurisdiction or personal or international service is required.

Get started today

Call: 0333 188 2963
Email: enquiries@watson-morris.co.uk

Get started by completing our questionnaire

Related Services

We combine legal expertise with practical support that focuses on the wellbeing of your family throughout.

Financial Settlements for Married Couples

Child Maintenance and Financial Support for Children

Financial Provision After an Overseas Divorce

Recognition of Foreign Marriages and Divorce

Variation and Enforcement of Financial Orders

Child Arrangements and Parental Disputes


Domestic Abuse

Dispute Resolution

Second Opinion

Dispute Resolution

Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) refers to the different ways people can resolve disputes without going to court. A combination of ADR processes can be used during a dispute, or they can be used alongside litigation. We will guide you through the different pathways to reach a resolution, as well as being expert litigators should court proceedings be necessary.

Supporting you every step of the way

We know how hard it can be to navigate moments that are emotionally challenging and that is why we don’t just focus on the legal work. We make the wellbeing of you and your children a priority throughout and have partnered with other people we know and trust and who are as good in their fields as we are in ours.

Visit our support hub for information about coaching, wellbeing and support services.


Read the latest articles and commentary from Watson Morris Family Law or explore our full insights

Whatever your situation, wherever you are, we’re here for you

We work with clients across the UK and who live and work around the world. Whatever your financial status, or geographical location we provide the support you need.

Please note we do not offer legal aid. For a free no obligation call to discuss how we can help you:

Call: +44 (0) 333 188 2963
Email: enquiries@watson-morris.co.uk
Or submit your details using the form below:

    Type of enquiry
    Please tick all services that you are interested in receiving advice on:

    By submitting your email address and telephone number to us you consent to us contacting you to deal with your enquiry. Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. For more information on our Privacy Notice, please click here.